Tuesday, June 10, 2008

An Open Letter To Bono

Dear Bono,

Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of your music. However, what I really want to commend you on is your dedication to the environment and all of your other causes and achievements, which I won’t elaborate on because they make me feel inferior and guilty for not doing more.

I work at a new business; we are a private driving service that uses only hybrid vehicles. When we were brainstorming ways to grow our customer base, someone mentioned how great it would be to have a big-time celebrity or rock star use our service. It’s true that the idea is far-fetched and the chances of it happening are slim to none. I mean, it’s pretty laughable to imagine Paris, Lindsay, or Britney using our service. But still, we can dream. We would want someone who cares about the environment, someone who’s a good role model, a citizen of the world…someone with an international profile, who is a talented musician in a world famous critically acclaimed band…who has jet black hair and rocks tight pants…who wears trademark sunglasses and exudes a cool confidence in spite of being as old as my father…All signs point to Dave Navarro. Just kidding. We need you, Bono, and only you. You’re our only hope.

If someone as cool, popular, talented, worldly, and passionate about the environment as you are used our services, there’s no telling how many people would want to try us too!

Just think about it…

Sincerely,
The Joshua Tree was the first CD I ever owned




Photo from People Magazine
ZAK/GAMMA, BRIAN. Peace Be with You. 2007. www.people.com. 10 June 2008 .

3 comments:

Tommy D said...

I politely disagree with this post mainly because I hate Bono. He is full of himself and he is a corporate sellout. Hes got this "holier than thou" attitude that drives me crazy! He looks just like Robin Williams too: 'nuff said.

The Rider Experiment said...

Hey Tommy (D),

Thanks for being the first comment! I understand and maybe (on some microscopic level) even share your point of view. However, I had to use my post to try to appeal to the vanity you described because he is, simply put, the most fitting celebrity endorsement for the cause. In fact, I double dog dare you to find a better candidate (and yeah, I just went there).

Tommy D said...

Im not doubting Bono's dedication to the cause, im just saying that NOBODY likes him! If you were to endorse Bono,i think most of the people in this country would be indifferent to your cause. A more popular candidate , like George Clooney, Al Gore, or maybe even Chuck Norris would have a lot of positive consequences.